[Ads-l] Rossini Quotation

Sat May 12 19:58:07 UTC 2018

The Rameau variant about the Holland Gazette was circulating in
English by 1784. I haven't searched for it in French yet. Gioachino
Rossini was born in 1792. So the Rameau variant is a precursor.
Jean-Philippe Rameau died in 1764.

Year: 1784
Title: A New and General Biographical Dictionary,
Edition: New Edition in 12 Volumes
Volume 11
Entry: John Philip Rameau
Start Page 22, Quote Page 22
Publication: Printed for W. Strahan, T. Payne and Son etc., London

https://books.google.com/books?id=CtZaM_xXaQgC&q=%22give+me+but%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
It was a saying of Quinault that "the Poet was the Musician's
servant;" but Rameau would say, "Give me but a Holland Gazette, and I
will set it to music:" and we are almost ready to concur with him,
inasmuch as we have known the London Cries of "The last dying speech
of the malefactors who were executed this morning at Tyburn," &c. to
be set and sung most-harmoniously.
[End excerpt]

Garson