[Ads-l] From a medieval poem?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 20 02:13:19 UTC 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubi_caritas
"_Ubi caritas_ is a hymn of the Western Church, long used as one of the
antiphons for the washing of feet on Maundy Thursday. The Gregorian melody
was composed sometime between the fourth and tenth centuries, though some
scholars believe the text dates from early Christian gatherings before the
formalization of the Mass."

The first line, "Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est," can be translated as
"Where charity and love are, God is there" or "Where true love is found
with charity, God is present there."

https://hymnary.org/text/where_true_love_is_found_with_charity

Bishop Curry rendered it without the "charity": "Where true love is found,
God himself is there.”

http://www.anglican.ink/article/royal-wedding-homily