[Ads-l] silvopasture (1978)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 12 17:52:12 UTC 2018

Yesterday, the term “silvopasture” occurred in a story NBC News ran on fighting global warming.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/would-flooding-deserts-help-stop-global-warming-n934551 <https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/would-flooding-deserts-help-stop-global-warming-n934551>
Would flooding the deserts help stop global warming?
James Rainey

——
Among the carbon-sinking projects that would require little or no new technology: creating new forests in degraded pasture, farm and other land; criss-crossing fields with trees to create so-called silvopastures, which absorb far more carbon than open fields; and preserving and restoring peatlands, the boggy wetlands that store carbon at twice the rate of the world’s oceans.
——

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvopasture <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvopasture>) and Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/silvopasture <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/silvopasture>) have this term, but it’s not in the English OLD or Merriam-Webster.

Google has 128 raw hits.

1. The earliest hit I found on Google Books is 1978, which seems to be correct
Report on the Third FAO/SIDA Expert Consultation on Forestry for Local Community Development: Held in Semarang, Indonesia, 5-15 December 1977
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
https://tinyurl.com/yc6n4z6m <https://tinyurl.com/yc6n4z6m>

When I tried to go back and double-check this citation, I was no longer able to find the citation, but it does appear in a regular GB search.

——
Some of the aspects too be considered in the conception of such models could be: i) the establishment of crops with forestry plantations, for as long a period as possible; ii) silvopasture management, fodder production and silos; …
——

2. First published in 1990, so perhaps “silvopasture” was not in the original
The threatening desert: controlling desertification
Alan Grainger
https://tinyurl.com/y9yj65lu <https://tinyurl.com/y9yj65lu>

——
Silvopasture
Another type of agroforestry known as silvopasture ….
——

3. 2001
Senate Reports Nos. 117-132
https://tinyurl.com/yd6j6l4m <https://tinyurl.com/yd6j6l4m>

——
... including land that is used for—
(i) alley cropping;
(ii) forest farming;
(iii) forest buffers;
(iv) windbreaks;
(v) silvopasture systems; and
(vi) such other integrated agroforestry uses as the Secretary may determine to be appropriate.
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA