[Ads-l] Antedating of "uh-huh"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 19 02:10:21 UTC 2018

We had a couple of threads on these back aways (2003, 2004, 2005). Besides “uh-oh” and “uh-uh”, there’s the closed mouth version, however it’s transcribed.  “m-hm” with no glottal stop (like the open-mouth version “uh-huh”) vs. “m?m” with glottal stop, like the open-mouth “uh-uh”.  And then there’s “nuh-uh”, with the same glottal stop--and the same high-low tonal pattern as found also in “uh-oh”, as opposed to the low-high of the positive versions. I’ve tried pursuing the idea that the glottal stop, interrupting the airflow, is an iconic representation of negation (there’s also “no you di?int” which had it’s 15 minutes, or maybe 15 months, of fame a while back), did I convince anyone?  Nuh-uh.

LH