[Ads-l] Quote: Sir your letter is before me, and it will presently be behind me. Attributed to Lord Sandwich

Marc Sacks msacksg at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 1 16:16:19 UTC 2018

It may go back that far, but I've always heard it attributed to Max Reger.
There's an entire book, "Der heiterer Reger," devoted to Reger witticisms.

My favorite: A policeman encountered a drunken Reger urinating against a
wall and said, "I'm sorry, sir, I'll have to fine you five marks."

Reger handed him a ten-mark note and said, "Here. You can do it too." (I'm
probably not quoting exactly; I read this many years ago, and my German was
never all that good.)