[Ads-l] on a screed

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Thu Oct 4 18:01:51 UTC 2018

Searching in COCA I find 163 hits for screed, about 15-20% being OED screed (4) in construction contexts.

There are no relevant uses with "on (a screed)", and only 4 with "into (a screed)", 2 verbs each with two examples: launches into and turned X into.

Approaching from the other side, "GO off on" yields 624 examples. Searching for right-side noun collocates I find 70 nouns with 2 or more hits, though several of those are of the same lemma. The top collocates are TANGENT (55), trip (14), vacation (8). Nouns in the semantic set of interest are RANT (9), tirade (5), RIFF (3), rampage (2). On the whole, the nouns in the whole collocation set are characterized by being associated with a length of time--tangent being a sort of outlier. In addition to those listed, the set includes adventure, tour, missions, honeymoon, trips, crusade and fishing expeditions. Since the definition of screed includes the notion of length ("long or tedious" "protracted" in OED), it seems to me that the noun would fit the general construction. Yet it does not appear.

The construction "GO on" has too much reach to search effectively--over 22,000 hits with right-side nouns of over 16 hits each--so I searched "GO on a". The most frequent nouns to appear are
1                TRIP 	413
2 		 DATE 	241
3 		 RAMPAGE 	166
4 		 SPREE 	159
5 		 DIET 	159

In our target semantic set are tear (33), tirade (13), rant (13), tangent (4), riff (2), diatribe (2).

I have not searched the historical corpus.