[Ads-l] tentpole

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 5 17:12:56 UTC 2018

The latest OED quarterly update includes a raft of new movie-related terms:

https://public.oed.com/blog/oed-3-the-revisioning-or-how-we-added-film-terms-in-the-september-2018-release/

...including "tentpole," with early cites quoting Paramount chief Frank
Mancuso, which I first shared here in 2005.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-July/051528.html

----
  tentpole adj. and n. Film  (a) adj. designating a big-budget film which
is expected to generate sufficient revenue to support a range of other
projects by the same studio; of or relating to such a film;  (b) n. a film
of this kind.

1987   N.Y. Times 4 June. c21/6   Mr. Mancuso describes ‘Beverly Hills Cop
II’ as a ‘tent pole’ movie. Each year Paramount makes several high-budget
films ‘that..are strong enough to support your entire schedule,’ he said.
1987   N.Y. Times 5 Sept. c15/3   He [sc. Mancuso] rescued ‘Top Gun’ from
the discard pile because he thought the combination of aerial photography,
Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis..might make a tent pole.
1991   Premiere Nov. 31/2   Tartikoff..was so eager to make Patriot Games
part of a new ‘tent pole’ series that he'd already upped its budget from
$28 million to $35 million.
2006   Y. Tzioumakis Amer. Independent Cinema Introd. 11   Tent pole films
with potential for stratospheric profits.
2012   Variety 27 Feb. 9/3   Studios [were] less likely to take risks on
unproven projects, and instead turned their attention to big-budget
tentpoles.
----