[Ads-l] tentpole (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 6 02:02:15 UTC 2018

My 2005 ADS-L post (linked below) includes earlier cites related to TV
programming.

-----
Newsweek, 28 May 1979, p. 62 (Nexis)
Turning to tactics, the NBC president painstakingly outlined the rationale
for his fall game plan, explaining that he was applying the "tent pole"
theory of scheduling that marked his triumphal reign at ABC. Basically,
this means slotting a network's strongest shows in the 9 p.m. period in
the hope that they will lure viewers to new shows running before and after
them.
-----
PR Newswire, 22 Apr. 1985 (Nexis)
In TV land, a "tentpole" is a show that is successful for a network on an
otherwise poor rating night.
-----
New York Times, 27 Aug. 1985, p. C16 (Nexis)
Mr. Tartikoff, describing what he called his "tent-pole positions" of new
programming, mentioned "Helltown," a program about a tough minister played
by Robert Blake, the renovation of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," and "The
Golden Girls."
-----