[Ads-l] pinky-swear

Sat Oct 6 21:11:18 UTC 2018

Mark Mandel wrote:
> Considering the rhymes, I have to assume censorship in publication.

Excellent point, Mark. Here is the unexpurgated rhyme recorded in 1872.

Year: 1872
Americanisms: The English of the New World
Author: M. Schele de Vere (Professor of Modern Languages in the
University of Virginia)
Quote Page 87
Publisher: Charles Scribner & Company, New York
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=93UKAAAAIAAJ&q=%22to+hell%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
There is, of course, no connection between this word and the familiar
name of the little finger, also derived from the Dutch (pink), as it
appears in the nursery rhyme, which accompanies the interlocking of
the little fingers of the right hand:

"Pinky, pinky, bowbell,
Whoever tells a lie
Will sink down to hell.