[Ads-l] Eggcorn database?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 7 04:21:43 UTC 2018

Hi Chris et al.,

I just tried checking to see if an item I encountered (and then found additional attestations for on the web) was in ECDB but the usual link, https://eggcorns.lascribe.net, seems not to be up.  Anyway, the item in question was

“run ramshackle over” (for “run roughshod over”)

Well, maybe it’s not a…well, let’s say *bonified* eggcorn, since even if you don’t know what “roughshod” is, it’s not as if “run ramshackle” would make a lot of sense.  So maybe it’s a mere malaprop; tricky distinction in such cases…

From Google Books:

The Army team did have obvious recruiting, and we watched as the backfield tandem of Blanchard and Davis ran ramshackle over hapless Colgate 42-0

He became so successful at it that he formed a group of over one hundred henchmen who ran ramshackle over the entire place.

Others:

I suspect that you were nearly a man of the cloth until your concupiscent nature ran ramshackle over your vocation.

Before Bill de Blasio ran ramshackle over opponent Joe Lhota in the race for NYC mayor,…

this society's post-World War II ideologies ran ramshackle over Kelley's youthful sensitivities

—LH