[Ads-l] Intransitive "publish"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 10 23:49:00 UTC 2018

But doesn’t middle voice tend to involve dispositions/capacities rather than episodic or eventive clauses?  Compare standard middle examples from the literature like

Poetry doesn’t translate easily.
This bread will cut with a sharp knife.
Those cars are selling like hotcakes.
Bean curd digests easily.
The soup that eats like a meal.
‘Mr. Howard amuses easy' (as in the eponymous paper representing earliest treatment of the construction I know of, by Anna Granville Hatcher (Modern Language Notes, 1943—a paper that also uses asterisks for ungrammatical sentences!)

Typically, there’s an adverb relating to *manner* (not time) and a general, non-episodic, interpretation (cf. #Mr. Howard amused last night).  In the case of “This book published last night”, we have an episodic interpretation involving a one-time event.  So I’m not sure I see it as a garden-variety middle.

LH