[Ads-l] Bugs Bunny coins "Nimrod"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 11 18:34:57 UTC 2018

> this particular one was never shown

Though, by 1941, I was old enough to be taken to the movies. I know
about the _vast_ number of racist animated cartoons only from YouTube.
I saw a few of these dumb-and-lazy-nigger cartoons even in StL, where
there were separate movie-houses for colored, instead of the usual
"buzzard's roost" set-up. Nevertheless, the cartoons were shown in
"our" theaters just as they were shown in "their" theaters.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:43 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wikipedia notes that this 1941 cartoon was suppressed as racist "in 1968."
> (Elmer Fudd had first appeared with that name in 1940).
>
> FWIW, I began watching Bugs Bunny cartoons on Channel 5 in NYC in 1957 or
> '58, and this particular one was never shown - then or later. This is the
> first time I've seen it.
>
> JL
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Elmer Fudd
> >
> > He used to be a colored fellow, before he came to his senses.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0z7oZ0jzQs
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:11 PM Andy Bach <afbach at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > According to "Now You Know" and WikiP, Chuck Jones et alia are the actual
> > > coiners of the idiot version:
> > > " The word “nimrod” is commonly used to describe someone who is acting
> > like
> > > a doofus, but the word originally meant the opposite. “Nimrod” originally
> > > comes from the name of a biblical Egyptian king who was widely regarded
> > as
> > > a skilled hunter. But, according to Wikipedia
> > > <
> > https://nowiknow.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2889002ad89d45ca21f50ba46&id=aefcd20163&e=33dbfa3b8f
> > >,
> > > Bugs Bunny (yes, the iconic cartoon character) used the term
> > sarcastically
> > > in reference to hapless hunter Elmer Fudd. Viewers didn’t pick up the
> > > sarcasm and the meaning of the term reversed. "
> > >
> > > WikiP cites "Garner's Modern American Usage":
> > >
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=mVcJqKs1isUC&pg=PR53#v=onepage&q&f=false
> > >
> > > Though they also cite the "Dictionary of Jewish Usage"
> > >
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=Nk_RFL9LYg0C&pg=PA126#v=onepage&q&f=false
> > >
> > > which says it was in use as meaning "maroon" (said to be Bugs'
> > > pronunciation of "moron", not referring to Maroons, runaway slaves (which
> > > the Straight Dope differs:
> > > https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-25808.html
> > > )) is noted as far back as the 1930s
> > >

> > > --

> > > Andy Bach,
> > > afbach at gmail.com
> > > 608 658-1890 cell
> > > 608 261-5738 wk

> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint
> > to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

> --

-Wilson
-----