[Ads-l] Bugs Bunny coins "Nimrod"?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Oct 11 20:25:19 UTC 2018

It occurred to me that the example from the Dexter Free Press was probably a reference to an earlier usage in the same newspaper.  It’s almost certainly the following one, where “nimrod” (lower case) is a sarcastic term for “hunter.”  From the Dexter (Kansas) Free Press, Nov. 1, 1889:  “There is a larger crop of prairie chickens, quail and jack rabbits this season than for years, and doughty nimrods are burning considerable powder in attemping [sic] to scare the life out of the poor, innocent creatures.”

John Baker

From: Baker, John
Sent: Thursday 11 October 2018 2:28 PM
To: 'American Dialect Society'
Subject: RE: Bugs Bunny coins "Nimrod"?

Here are a couple of pre-Bugs examples of “Nimrod” from Newspapers.com.  I’m not sure to what extent the first one should be taken at face value.  In the second, “What a Nimrod!” is a sarcastic way to say “What a great hunter!”  “Nimrod” used to be a much more common term than it is today, and I didn’t spend much time looking at this, so I’m sure these can be improved upon.

Dexter (Kansas) Free Press, Nov. 29, 1889:  “Jim Handy wants to know what a nimrod is.  It is this.  In the article you seen it mentioned in, it means a fool.”

Shepherdstown (W. Va.) Register, Mar. 5, 1903:  “It is announced that the President is to go West in a few weeks and hunt big game.  Let us hope he will have a change of luck.  With Washington full of trust magnates, tariff robbers, money grabbers and other great game the past winter, the only thing he succeeded in harming was a handful of humble, inoffensive citizens at Indianola.
What a Nimrod!”

John Baker