[Ads-l] Intransitive "publish"

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 12 13:41:21 UTC 2018

On Oct 11, 2018 3:37 PM, "Neal Whitman" <nwhitman at ameritech.net> wrote:

This seems to have been sent only to Mark, so I'm re-sending it.

Which seems very peculiar, because I haven't posted in this thread till
just now. Did you, perhaps, mean to reply to *Marc* Sacks but misspell his
first name, leading your mailer to address it to a *Mark*, namely me?

Mark Mandel

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: [ADS-L] Intransitive "publish"
Date:   Wed, 10 Oct 2018 20:11:56 -0400
From:   Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
To:     Mark Mandel <mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM>

Usually but not always. One source I’m reading right now is a 2016(?)
monograph by Marianne Hundt, which makes a case for including these
examples. Often you just need the right context; for example, “the bread
looked tough, but when I slid in the knife, it sliced easily.”

Neal

> On Oct 10, 2018, at 7:49 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
> But doesn’t middle voice tend to involve dispositions/capacities rather
than episodic or eventive clauses?  Compare standard middle examples from
the literature like

> Poetry doesn’t translate easily.
> This bread will cut with a sharp knife.
> Those cars are selling like hotcakes.
> Bean curd digests easily.
> The soup that eats like a meal.
> ‘Mr. Howard amuses easy' (as in the eponymous paper representing earliest
treatment of the construction I know of, by Anna Granville Hatcher (Modern
Language Notes, 1943—a paper that also uses asterisks for ungrammatical
sentences!)

> Typically, there’s an adverb relating to *manner* (not time) and a
general, non-episodic, interpretation (cf. #Mr. Howard amused last night).
In the case of “This book published last night”, we have an episodic
interpretation involving a one-time event.  So I’m not sure I see it as a
garden-variety middle.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/middle-voice-sentences

>> Neal

OK