[Ads-l] Dictionary.com

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 15 03:18:02 UTC 2018

"When _a child_ acted up around dinnertime in the 60s, _his_ mother might
threaten _them_ by saying, you can go to be bed without dinner. And, _they_
might actually go to bed without dinner.
"This phrase dates back to the popular children's book, Where the Wild
Things Are (1963) and was an effort to teach the child not to misbehave or
else they'd go hungry."
https://www.dictionary.com/e/s/words-phrases-parents-used-cant-use-now/#go-outside-and-play

Graham's Illustrated Magazine of Literature, Romance, Art, and Fashion
https://books.google.com/books?id=uFIyAQAAMAAJ
George R. Graham, ‎Edgar Allan Poe - 1835 - ‎Read - Page 30
LIFE—-—NOT LIKE THE ROSE-—GOING TO BED WITHOUT DINNER.

I'd been under the impression that Dictionart.com was a class act.
--
-Wilson
-----