[Ads-l] shade

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 14:34:57 UTC 2018

We've discussed "shade" several times on the list. There's an OED3 draft
addition to the "shade, n." entry from June 2015 covering the sense.

----
U.S. slang (orig. in African-American usage). Contempt, disapproval, or
disrespect, esp. when expressed obliquely. Chiefly in _to throw shade_: to
express contempt or disapproval; often with _at_ or _on_.
Originally associated with the drag culture of Harlem, New York City in the
late 1980s; see quots. 1990, 1997.
1990   Paris is Burning (1991) (transcribed from film)    Shade is I don't
tell you you're ugly, but I don't have to tell you because you know you're
ugly and that's shade.
1993   N.Y. Times 4 July ix. 5/5   The Sunday Stylers are the last people
I'd expect to throw shade on President Bill's hair pursuits.
1997   Village Voice 12 Aug. 26/1   No one who ever saw Willy Ninja dance
in the '80s will forget him feigning to slap on makeup, gaze in a mirror,
and ‘throw shade’ on his rivals.
2005   ‘K'Wan’ Hoodlum xxxi. 302   I ain't trying to throw shade, shit has
just been real hectic.
2012   Gleaner (Kingston, Jamaica) 15 Oct. c5/5   They not talking. Ain't
no shade though.
2015   Burlington (Vermont) Free Press (Electronic ed.) 29 Jan. 2   Jarvis
suggested the actors should be ‘throwing shade’ at each other via eye rolls
and such to set up the increasing animosity.
----