[Ads-l] Apparently brainless reporting on alternative 3rd person pronouns

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 18:13:08 UTC 2018

I exchanged three e-mails with the writer of the article, Kristen Johanson.

She said that she spoke with “MANY professionals” about the issue and that she did the article for the first International Pronoun Day.

I asked: So are they using “thou” to mean “you” or something else? That’s the issue I (we) don’t understand.

She responded: ​Possibly as something else.  Basically, they are playing with different words to see what fits, since the idea is very new to mainstream English (or American, more specifically) language.

Without evidence, it seems most likely to me that “thou” is just experiencing a revival as a second-person pronoun, though Johanson sees it differently. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou#More_recent_uses <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou#More_recent_uses> for recent and current usage.)

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA