[Ads-l] Trading?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 19:14:11 UTC 2018

> I don't believe that's what was meant here. I could be wrong

I'd say not using for "one's own ends" is what the author is lauding
Bombach for:
"Bombach (in contrast with not only those around Murad, but also with many
other documentary filmmakers) practically disappears from the film as she
zooms in on Murad, taking care not to exploit her even when recording her
in states of acute distress."
"*KA: *Right, because it also puts a premium on trauma in a way, in that if
some kind of narrative like that is not in someone’s personal history, then
do they get the floor in the same way?

*AB: *It’s interesting, too, that—this was a pretty good example of it that
was cringe-worthy to me—that people were really focused on and wanted to
know exactly how much time she was in captivity. To weigh against other
women. That kind of stuff was blowing my mind. I was very shocked at the
world I was entering into and how they had to basically figure out how to
market, use marketing as a tool.

> There are a few other gems in the piece - like "pretty instantly".
Yes, appears Bombach is fond of that modifier; pretty instantly, pretty
immediately (twice) and pretty focused

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:54 PM victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm aware of what it means and have used the expression. I don't believe
> that's what was meant here. I could be wrong
>
> VS-)
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018, 10:30 AM Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "Trade on" is defined by OED3 as "to make use of for one's own ends; to
> > profit by; to take advantage of." Citations go back to Dickens (1843),
> > _Martin Chuzzlewit_: "He never speculated and traded on her pride in
> you."

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell