[Ads-l] the bee's knees (1920)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 19 20:40:56 UTC 2018

Chronicling America turns up numerous references to "bee's knees" (but not
"*the* bee's knees") as far back as 1902, usually as a supposed gourmet
dish - "bee's knees and petunia sauce" shows up early and more than once.
Here's a late example that shows "bee's knees" were still a matter of
culinary interest 14 years later:

1916 South Bend News-Times (Aug. 2) 4: Strawberry sandwiches, peanut
cookies, toasted marshmallows, and other airy-fairy dishes which suggest
the "bee's knees and gnat's knuckles" of burlesque stage memory.

JL