[Ads-l] move the cheese

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 20 16:14:43 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 10:34 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 'Change a publicized goal or position in a deceptively self-serving, way.'
>
> Victor Blackwell, CNN: "The President was talking about an actual wall, so
> to move the cheese now seems a bit nefarious."
>
> Cf, "move the goal posts."  The relocated cheese was a claim by Trumpist
> Joseph Borelli that Mexico is already "paying for" The Wall "in the blood,
> sweat and, tears" of Mexican law enforcement.

Presumably alluding to Spencer Johnson's 1998 book "Who Moved My Cheese?",
which uses an allegory about mice in a maze to impart motivational life
lessons.

"It would be all so easy if you had a map to the Maze.
If the same old routines worked.
If they’d just stop moving 'The Cheese.'
But things keep changing..."

--bgz