[Ads-l] [EEMSG-SPAM: Suspect][Non-DoD Source] pooched (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 23 20:18:27 UTC 2018

Nice find, Bill (though your employer has really pooched the subject line).

I wrote about "screw the pooch" back in 2014, but I didn't have a print
source as early as 1969. There are various reports of oral use going back
to 1950.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2014/01/screw-the-pooch-etymology-of-the-idiom-dates-back-to-nasa-and-the-military.html