[Ads-l] cat got tongue

Wed Oct 24 15:12:01 UTC 2018

The 1852 citation is superior to the 1881 citation mentioned by some websites.

Grammarist
https://grammarist.com/idiom/cat-got-your-tongue/
[Begin excerpt]
The earliest use of the phrase cat got you tongue? is found in an
American magazine in 1881, where it is described as a taunt used by
children.
[End excerpt]

Grammarist also mentions some unlikely origin stories and states "All
of these stories are apocryphal".

The Oxford English Dictionary includes the expression in three
quotations. The earliest is from 1911.
[Begin excerpt]
tongue, n. II. In reference to speech. 4.
b. In many colloquial and proverbial expressions of obvious meaning.
1911   H. H. Harper Bob Hardwick 88   I was so angry at her that
I..made no answer... Presently she said, ‘Has the cat got your
tongue?’
[End excerpt]

The Phrase Finder
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cat-got-your-tongue.html