[Ads-l] spades away
mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 2 15:46:22 EDT 2018
I have vague recollections of this expression used as an exclamation decades ago. It seemed to me to mean a cry of abandoned care at the start of a venture, like “Geronimo!” or “bombs away!”
I don’t see any such expression in the English OLD or Wiktionary, or much on the internet.
1. Clearly, however, it exists, as there is an echo of it at http://devourthedetails.blogspot.com/2014/02/spades-away.html: <http://devourthedetails.blogspot.com/2014/02/spades-away.html:>
For the future Mrs. Fashionista, show your colorful side by having a Kate Spade themed bridal shower!
There is an expression “pack the bucket and spades away” that seems to mean “the current event is over” and may be a precursor. This seems to be the same as “pack it up”, which is not in the English OLD or Wiktionary; they both have “pack it in”, which I’m not familiar with but might be the same.
2. The Star (https://bit.ly/2N3H1Fx <https://bit.ly/2N3H1Fx>, 14 April, Michale Lynch), a context having nothing to do with the beach:
It's understandable why [the] Victory [rugby team] might have switched off a little in recent matches given they have been assured of second place for several weeks now, but it really is time for them to leave the beach and pack the bucket and spades away, at least until the finals are over.
3. A similar expression in the Huddersfield Examiner (https://bit.ly/2NMDkRm <https://bit.ly/2NMDkRm>, 21 August 2013):
YORKSHIRE ladies will be packing their buckets and spades away for another year after failing to make the final of the Waterloo Cup at Blackpool.
4. Boltholes & Hideaways (http://www.rhosneigrholidaycottages.com/family-fun-island/ <http://www.rhosneigrholidaycottages.com/family-fun-island/>)
Pack the buckets and spades away for the day and start to explore Anglesey.
5. Trip Advisor (https://bit.ly/2ND7YMZ <https://bit.ly/2ND7YMZ>):
Come on ladies and gents put the buckets and spades away, get the glad rags on because you need to join the fantastic nights out at the REFURBISHED Celtic Drop
which is under New Management .
Formerly of Seattle, WA
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
More information about the Ads-l