[Ads-l] spades away

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 5 05:50:26 UTC 2018

Buckets, spades and the like appear to have been typical symbols of working-class life. Perhaps “spades away” comes from a shout of joy at the end of the workday when you put your tools away.

1. Specimens of American Poetry, Volume 2, ed. Samuel Kettell, 1829, p. 158
“The Prize” by William Maxwell

https://tinyurl.com/ybveftat <https://tinyurl.com/ybveftat>

——
Clodpole, a simple rustic clown,
…
An honest countryman by trade,
Extremely clever with his spade,
But times grew hard;
“O! he has got the prize! we’re made!
Good by t’ ye to the hoe and spade!"
——

2. THE SANITARY RECORD A MONTHLY JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND…, p. 9, 1882, ed. Ernest Hart
“The Present State of the Sewage Question” by Prof. Corfield
https://tinyurl.com/yczs4xa3 <https://tinyurl.com/yczs4xa3>

——
In former years [cesspools] used to be emptied by hand, bucket, and spade, and the results were very disastrous.
——

3. This has an interesting saying that I could not find elsewhere.

New Statesman: The Week-end Review
1953
https://tinyurl.com/ycdjg4qh <https://tinyurl.com/ycdjg4qh>

snippet:
——
You do not take buckets and spades away to an eighteenth-century drawing-room, they say, nor do you hang striped bathing towels from Adam balconies.
——

4. Nene News (PDF), , p. 2, ed. Peter Glennon
“Exeat - the man of few words saves them up for the last issue” by Chris
July 2009
https://tinyurl.com/ycppvmk4 <https://tinyurl.com/ycppvmk4>

——
We had good fun doing the service projects:
…
Gents you can put your spades away now, the year is over.
——

Further citations of “spades away” that seem to be along the lines of “Geronimo!” or “bombs away!”

caseyweederman
http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185122 <http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185122>
——
I'm pretty curious about this too. Spades away!
——
Fork
http://52.1.45.128/vb/showthread.php?t=227483&page=2 <http://52.1.45.128/vb/showthread.php?t=227483&page=2>
——
Which raises the question, what happens when you keep "thanksgot" over rollover?

Spades away!
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA