[Ads-l] spades (distance)

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Wed Sep 5 06:23:50 UTC 2018

Since the first site is talking about ragworms as a live prey/food source
for axolotls (amphibians), "a couple of spades away" implies to me that they
are plentiful and easy to dig up.
Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: Barretts Mail
Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:58 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: spades (distance)

Based on some of the sources, this might be Irish English usage. It seems to
mean “steps” or “a short distance”.

https://www.caudata.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-51810.html
<https://www.caudata.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-51810.html>
timg
——
I live two minutes from the irish sea, where there is a plentiful supply of
ragworms, just a couple of spades away, and...
——

https://dokumen.tips/documents/st-ives-local-janfeb-2016-edition.html
<https://dokumen.tips/documents/st-ives-local-janfeb-2016-edition.html>
St. Ives Local
Jan/Feb 2016
——
Once you have established your soil type, success is only a few spades away.
——

http://apocalypsewriters.com/blog/2014/07/24/i-see-a-red-door/
<http://apocalypsewriters.com/blog/2014/07/24/i-see-a-red-door/>
K. J. Joyner

——
Going to the 50’s not only steered me away from the five panel look of our
door, it stepped spades away from the way the door was constructed.
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA