[Ads-l] turf

Tue Sep 11 05:32:41 UTC 2018

Here are two citations from a quick search exploring the shifting
senses of the word "turf". The goal was to find examples of "turf"
employed in a way that excludes "grass".

Example one: 1973 in the American football domain; contains the
statement: "I used to hate turf. Now I hate grass."

Date: November 13, 1973
Newspaper: The Miami News
Newspaper Location: Miami, Florida
Article: Orange Bowl grass is doing its job
Author: John Crittenden (Sports Editor)
Quote Page 17A, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems the beefs about the Orange
Bowl playing surface are starting to fade, which is just as well,
since artificial grass is here to stay.

The complaints are not nearly as intense as they were in the early
days of the conversion to plastics, when the Dolphins used to go over
the game films and announce the dumber of slips. There are still some
slips at the Orange Bowl, high school, college and pro, but the
players appear to have learned to live with it.

"You can master the turf," Mercury Morris said after Sunday's Dolphin
game. "You can slowly learn to run on it. I prefer it now. I used to
hate turf. Now I hate grass."
[End excerpt]

Example two: 2003 in the field hockey domain; contains the statement:
(Ellipsis in original text) "Bermuda grass ... is a great field, but
on turf you can move the ball 10 times faster".