[Ads-l] Kavanaugh yearbook

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 27 02:32:56 UTC 2018

> "to ralph" was a (very) common alternative to "to barf"

I'm familiar with these two, plus "blow chunk" and "hurl" as white-guy
slang. Amongst the colored (of only my era?), the polite term is "throw up"
and the usual vulgar term, used to gross out the school cafeteria at
lunch-time, is, "vomit," very commonly pronounced "vomic."

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:59 PM victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks. That was the interpretation that I had as well. I had acquired the
> verb a few years later, well post the undergrad years which, ironically
> coincided with Kavanaugh's. I had an excuse - my English was very limited
> in 1983
>
> VS-)
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018, 8:45 PM Chris Waigl <chris at lascribe.net> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: Kavanaugh yearbook

> > My partner Melinda, who was born in 1956 and grew up mostly in Virginia
> (a
> > little, but not much, further out of DC than the people in question),
> uses
> > the verb ralph in this sense.
> >
> > Chris

> for

> > > League
> > from

> > > --
> > > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
> > truth."

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain