[Ads-l] indiepocalypse

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 29 20:12:41 UTC 2018

The “pocalypse” libfix has been discussed on this list and on Arnold Zwicky’s blog:

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2011/08/10/mageddons-and-pocalypses/ <https://arnoldzwicky.org/2011/08/10/mageddons-and-pocalypses/>
https://arnoldzwicky.org/2010/05/04/pocalypse/ <https://arnoldzwicky.org/2010/05/04/pocalypse/>

Yesterday, an article came out on Polygon discussing the indiepocolypse:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/28/17911372/there-are-too-many-video-games-what-now-indiepocalypse <https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/28/17911372/there-are-too-many-video-games-what-now-indiepocalypse>
There are too many video games. What now?
Steven Wright
——
The group’s name says it all. They call it the “indiepocalypse.”
——

I haven’t spent any time trying to seriously antedate this. There are about 100 hits on Google, including this one:

https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/04/the-deanbeat-will-we-see-an-indie-boom-or-an-indie-apocalypse-as-mobile-goes-triple-a/ <https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/04/the-deanbeat-will-we-see-an-indie-boom-or-an-indie-apocalypse-as-mobile-goes-triple-a/>
The DeanBeat: Will we see an indie boom or an indie apocalypse as mobile goes triple-A?
Dean Takahashi

——
Game observer Anton Savchenko, predicted that there could be an “indiepocalypse” on Steam, the Valve-owned digital game distribution service, as the number of games being published accelerates to an unsustainable level.
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA