[Ads-l] A newish construction and a newish euphemism

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 5 01:39:40 UTC 2019

> On Apr 4, 2019, at 4:29 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your response LH.
>
> Below is a joke that relies on a displacement that, I think, is in
> some ways analogous. The original target phrase of this discussion
> thread is:
> They cheated their children’s way into college.
>
> The more common expression (with a different meaning) is:
> The children cheated their way into college.
>
> Consider this comical expression:
> The father worked his son's way through college.
>
> The more common expression (with a different meaning) is:
> The son worked his way through college.
>
> Here is the joke I found in 1925. The phrasing is different, but the
> key idea is similar.
>
> Newspaper: The Ottawa Campus
> Newspaper Location: Ottawa, Kansas
> Date: December 9, 1925
> Page: 3
> Database: Newspapers.com
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> Father will be glad when he has finished working his son's way through college.
> [End excerpt]

Exactly the same, other than the fact that the Kansas readers were expected to understand this as a joke, whereas Lester Holt (or his writer) was presumably expecting his listeners to take his construction in stride.  Here’s another one a non-list colleague just sent me, which I found even odder than the NBC News one, although it’s in the same family:

Burglary Suspect Claims He Threw Ex's Keys Into Creek | Fort Smith ...

https://5newsonline.com/2013/01/26/burglary-suspect-claims-he-threw-exs-keys-into-creek/

Jan 26, 2013 - A Fayetteville man faces a felony charge of residential burglary and a handful of misdemeanors after his ex-girlfriend told police he forced her way into her apartment, pushed her down and stole her key chain. […]

=========
The first two times I read it, I parsed it as “he forced his way into her apartment”

LH