[Ads-l] 4D movies and beyond

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 11 15:40:22 UTC 2019

The English OLD has “d” for dimension (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/d <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/d>) and an entry for 3D (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/3d <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/3d>) but filmmakers have taken the D in new directions.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyaanj/the-worlds-first-5d-porn-theater-is-a-wild-ride <https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyaanj/the-worlds-first-5d-porn-theater-is-a-wild-ride>
The World’s First 5D Porn Theater Is a Wild Ride
(interesting passive construction)

——
The film itself is in 3D, so I have to stick on special glasses, which is handy because during the film, substances are squirted into the audience and can end up in your face. The liquids come from the special chairs we're sat on, which also release particular smells based on what's happening on screen, and swerve and vibrate in sync with the action.
——

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-4-dimension-5D-6D-and-7D-movies <https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-4-dimension-5D-6D-and-7D-movies>

——
2d is just a regular movie, 3D has two projectors projecting the same thing at the same time (with the glasses to make it look like it's popping out), 4d has 3D but with added physical experiences (shaking/vibrating chair), 5d is 4d but with added things like water droplets and smell. I've seen 7d be either in a dome-like structure surrounding the audience with the movie or clip going on all around them, or with some sort of hologram with the effect of "just being able to touch it" but the projected hologram is really being projected onto a very thing, large sheet in the middle of the audience or stage. I have no idea what 6d is, but I'm assuming it's a lower form of 7d or a higher form of 5d.
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA