[Ads-l] YouTubery: "I guess you never heard of a _wheelbarrel_."

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 20 15:22:42 UTC 2019

I'd call "wheelbarrel" an *eggcorn*, not a folk etymology. It's not just a
supposed-but-inaccurate description of the origin of a word, but
"a word or phrase that sounds like and is mistakenly used in a seemingly
logical or plausible way for another word or phrase either on its own or as
part of a set expression...
First known use: 2003"
--*Merriam-Webster Unabridged*,
http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/eggcorn.png

It's easy to mishear "wheelbarrow" as "wheelbarrel", and explain it to
oneself by supposing that the object originated by mounting a barrel or
half of one on wheels; that would be a folk etymology. But going on to use
the mishearing in place of the correct one is a step beyond etymology and
has won a name of its own.

See also
*• Language Log*, "*Eggcorn* makes it into Merriam-Webster", May 30, 2015,
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=19257
• NPR, *The Two-Way*, "'Eggcorns': The Gaffes That Spread Like
Wildflowers", May 30, 2015,
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/30/410504851/eggcorns-the-gaffes-that-spread-like-wildflowers