[Ads-l] YouTubery: "I guess you never heard of a _wheelbarrel_."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 20 23:27:42 UTC 2019

> As I’ve mentioned on the list, my wife (from Connecticut) regularly
refers to ours as a “wheelbarrel”, although > she has learned to read and
does so quite often.

She's a better man than I, Gunga Larry. I also caved when I looked up a
strange, new word, _marshmallow_, and discovered that it was both a plant
and the foodstuff that I had thitherto known as "maahsh-mella." OTOH, I was
able to intuit that _watermelon_ = "wada-millun" by myself. Or should that
be, "on my own"?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 10:32 AM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> > On Apr 19, 2019, at 4:15 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > I guess that I'm not the only person to have interpreted "wheelbarrow" as
> > "wheelbarrel." But I didn't continue to think that after I learned to
> read.
> >
> > --
> > -Wilson
>
> As I’ve mentioned on the list, my wife (from Connecticut) regularly refers
> to ours as a “wheelbarrel”, although she has learned to read and does so
> quite often.  The web indicates she’s not alone.
>
> LH
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain