[Ads-l] YouTubery: "I guess you never heard of a _wheelbarrel_."

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 21 16:44:40 UTC 2019

A meaning missing from the English OLD (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/wheelbarrow <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/wheelbarrow>) and Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wheelbarrow <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wheelbarrow>) for wheelbarrow is the human wheelbarrow where one person grabs another by the legs and the person who is grabbed moves by moving their arms. This is surely common enough to be beyond metaphorical usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCb0wxyodM <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCb0wxyodM>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPp3YrZxe8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPp3YrZxe8>

Wheel-barrels
1. Some device on a ship

Ocean Steamships: A Popular Account of their Construction, Development, Management and Appliance
F. E. Chadwick, John H. Gould, J. D. J. Kelley, William H. Rideing, A. E. Seaton
1892 (Google dated)
https://tinyurl.com/y6eenv6j <https://tinyurl.com/y6eenv6j>

——
…. and yet, with all this beef, many a poor fellow has been maimed for life by being tossed over the wheel-barrel or jammed by the spokes when the ship swung off with sudden lurch...
——

English Patents of Inventions, Specifications: 1858, 2175 - 2255
H.M. Stationery Office
1859 (Google dated)
https://tinyurl.com/y4ln4qel <https://tinyurl.com/y4ln4qel>

——
The chain, whilst passing over the wheel barrel or drum, is held, link by link, in suitable notches….
——

2. A barrel on wheels, perhaps like the water wheel barrow in PR’s citation below, but for dirt

The Rural New-Yorker, Volume 50
Rural Publishing Company
1891
https://tinyurl.com/yxuexxu7 <https://tinyurl.com/yxuexxu7>

——
A Dirt Wheel-Barrel ….
Thee machine is simply a barrel on wheels, so nicely balanced that it will tip easily…. For many purposes a wheel barrel like this is better for farm work than the usual wheelbarrow.
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA