[Ads-l] Correction of First Use of Musical "Jazz"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 23 11:17:53 UTC 2019

I believe that the earliest known use of the word "jazz" referring to a musical genre is Chicago Tribune, July 11, 1915, discovered by me.  But the OED includes a citation for the combination "jazz blues" from the Chicago Tribune, Apr. 2, 1915.  I believe this is an error.  The correct dating for the "jazz blues" occurrence is July 11, 1915, in the same article in which "jazz" makes its first musical appearance.

Fred Shapiro