[Ads-l] antedatings of "world('s) series"

Fri Aug 2 02:11:34 UTC 2019

After reading Ben's note I started to search for a potential precursor
phrase "world's championship series" in the baseball domain, but I
found that Peter Reitan had already clipped a pertinent citation two
days ago.

Date: 26 Sep 1886
Newspaper: Chicago Tribune
Newspaper Location: Chicago, Illinois
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34414326/chicago_tribune/

[Begin excerpt]
The championship season is fast
approaching an end, and it now seems reasonably
sure that the Chicago White Stockings and St.
Louis Browns will win the championship in their
respective associations. I therefore take this op-
portunity of challenging your team on behalf of
the Browns for a series of contests to be known
as the world's championship series. It is imma-
terial to me whether the series be composed of
five, seven, or nine games.
[End excerpt]

Here is a match for "world championship series" in the baseball domain.

Date: 04 Oct 1886,
Newspaper: The San Francisco Examiner
Newspaper Location: San Francisco, California
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34479242/the_san_francisco_examiner/

I noticed there was a "world's chess championship series" match on
March 18, 1886.

Garson