[Ads-l] antedatings of "world('s) series"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 2 16:50:41 UTC 2019

The New York Mets and the Providence Grays played what we might now
consider the first "World's Series" in 1884, although not by that name.
That series was generally billed as the championship of America or the
United States.  The game was not arranged by the leagues, but was
personally arranged between the managers of Providence and the Mets, who
had a long-standing, previous working relationship from their days on
another team.  They had been planning to play the series in the event
they both won their respective pennants even before clinching their
respective pennants.

In 1885, Chicago and St. Louis played a series of games for what was
widely billed as the "Championship of the World." That series was also
arranged privately between the managers of the pennant winners, after
St. Louis clinched their pennant but before Chicago had clinched theirs
(although they were ahead and expecting to clinch soon).

They couldn't call the series of games for the inter-league championship
merely a "championship series" because that expression was already in
vogue as the term for what we now call the "regular season."

At the time, the teams played a number of non-league games throughout
the playing season in addition to the league games.  Whenever they
played games against league opponents, they were said to be part of the
"championship series" of games, in other words the games played that
counted toward winning the end-of-season pennant or championship of the
league, as distinguished from non-league games against local
independents, teams from other leagues, or college teams, which were not
part of the "championship series."

Coincidentally (?) the first volume of a series of books called the
"Round World Series" of books was released in early October 1886.