[Ads-l] Quote: "There is no such corrupting lie as a problem poorly named."

Sat Aug 3 12:19:17 UTC 2019

I think you are correct that they is an underlying adage. The saying
in the SANS newsletter probably evolved from a saying popularized by
the politician Daniel Patrick Moynihan who credited the French author
Georges Bernanos.

I looked at the Wikiquote webpage for Bernanos who died in 1948 and
did not see a match. I have not yet tried to search in French. Here is
a match in English in 1969.

Date: November 12, 1969
Newspaper: The Town Talk
Newspaper Location: Alexandria, Louisiana
Article: Moynihan-Paradox in Nixon's Inner Circle
Author: Arnold B. Sawislak (UPI)
Quote Page B10, Column 3 and 4
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/image/214445849/?terms=corrupting

[Begin excerpt]
A frequent theme in Moynihan pronouncements is that human beings
suffer less from what they don't know than from what they do know that
is wrong. He recently began a magazine article with a quotation from
Georges Bernanos: "The worst, the most corrupting of lies are problems
poorly stated."
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole