[Ads-l] antedating guacamole [also chopsticks]

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 3 18:35:41 UTC 2019

Only tangential, but Luke Fater just published an article on William Dampier and his book "A New Voyage Around [sic” Round] the World” on Atlas Obscura, and it includes mention of Dampier’s first description of guacamole but without a name:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/first-food-writer <https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/first-food-writer>

Dampier names the avocado fruit the “avocado-pear”.

Among the first descriptions by Dampier are chopsticks, the OED entry for which is outdated.

****
The two small sticks or slips of bone, wood, ivory, or the like, held between the thumb and fingers of one hand by the Chinese in place of a fork for conveying food to the mouth.
####
####

Endymion Wilkinson, in his "Chinese History: A New Manual (fourth edition)”, gives the Spring and Autumn period as the apparent earliest use of eating chopsticks (as opposed to the preceding tongs and cooking chopsticks), but the description of Chinese people using them in place of a fork does not seem appropriate or entirely accurate.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA