[Ads-l] Antedating of "Phoney"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 5 18:07:57 UTC 2019

As to how or why the accepted spelling (and presumably pronunciation)
changed from the longstanding "fawney" to "phoney," perhaps it had to do
with the naming of the new technologies, telephone and phonograph.

Beginning in the late-1870s, there were a number of jokes, humor bits or
stories that used the "phon" in telephone or phonograph as a pun of
sorts on the word, "funny."

The Daily Appeal (Carson City, Nevada), March 20, 1877, page 2.
"Now and then we strike a good thing done by the journeymen funny-men of
the papers . . . . 'if you please, where is the telephone?' They
telephoney story about this."

The Brooklyn Union, April 2, 1877, page 2.
"When telephonic communication is established with Hartford we shall
expect mark Twain to telephone-y story to Brooklyn audiences
occasionally."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 1, 1878, page 2.
"The 'tel-a-phoney story" point has already been used by various Eastern
paragraphists who have never felt the quickenings of conscience."

The Poultney Journal (Poultney, Vermont), May 10, 1878, page 1.  The
title above a collection of humorous items was labeled "Phoney-graphs."

Democrat and Weekly Sentinel (Burlington, Vermont), June 29, 1878, page
1.  The title above an article about Thomas Edison's workshop, "Edison's
Megaphone and other Phoney Things, Including 236 Patents."

I did not look through all such jokes in all years, but by 1889 (when
Phoney was already in use), a joke used "Phoneyman" to mean a
"professional Humorist."  Might this have played on the sense of a
funnyman telling untrue stories?  Might something like that have helped
blur or extend the perceived meaning of "phoney" in "phoney rings," as
to other false things? Or vice versa?

The Clyde Argus (Clyde, Kansas), October 25, 1889, page 2.
"Phoneyman (professional Humorist): 'Most men imagine they are witty.'
Jones: 'Yes, even the humorists do that?'"