[Ads-l] Antedating of "How Do You Like Them Apples?"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 7 14:31:40 UTC 2019

> On Aug 7, 2019, at 2:00 AM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Precursor (?), 1893, "how's them for apples?"
>
> Found in one story which appeared in two newspapers in 1893.
>
> First appeared in Chicago Inter-Ocean in a story about someone from Washington state bragging about how great things are out west.  At one point, the Washingtonian says. "Look at that chunk of coal - 25 tons.  How's them for apples? Say, did you ever see such potatoes? Bushel in a hill."
>
> Chicago Inter-Ocean, June 17, 1893, page 6.
>
> Yakima Herald, June 23, 1893, page 2.
>
> It may be ambiguous.  Does "how's  them for apples" refer back to the large chunk of coal? Or is it a separate boast about Washington apples, as is the following boast about potatoes?
>
> I read it as more likely similar to "how 'bout them apples?”

It would be nice to have a recording. The intonation for idiomatic “them apples” always (I believe) anaphorically de-stresses “apples” (with primary stress here retracted to “(a)bout” or “them"), whereas if the Washingtonian was boasting about their state’s apples, there would be no de-stressing.

LH