[Ads-l] Quip about celebrities and dark glasses

Tue Aug 13 04:40:16 UTC 2019

Several researchers have examined a joke about celebrities and dark
glasses including Nigel Rees, Fred Metcalf, Fred Shapiro, and Barry
Popik. Barry found a citation dated October 8, 1948.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/a_celebrity_works_hard

I found two slightly earlier citations. The QI article is here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/08/13/celebrity/

Here is the first citation, Perhaps a list member can do better.

[ref] 1947 July 12, The Times Recorder, Big Town Heat by Earl Wilson,
Quote Page 4, Column 5, Zanesville, Ohio. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
WISH I'D SAID THAT: A celebrity, said Joseph Curtin, is a guy who
works all his life to become famous enough to be recognized—then goes
around in dark glasses so no one’ll know who he is.
[End except]

Garson