[Ads-l] shimmy (shake, climb up/down)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 15 21:33:04 UTC 2019

Thanks for finding those. I missed the Merriam-Webster cross-reference.

Neither the OED nor the OLD, however, cover the transitive or noun meanings of “shake”. The noun meaning in the OLD that you refer to (https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/shimmy <https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/shimmy>) says:

****
[mass noun] Shaking, especially abnormal vibration of the wheels of a motor vehicle.
‘steering stabilizers reduce shimmy even from oversized tyres’
####
####

And the examples refer to vehicles and bicycles. The verb meaning is similar.

The Merriam-Webster definitions (“to shake, quiver, or tremble in or as if in dancing a shimmy”) for vibrate/vibration is broader than the OED/OLD but still do not cover the examples I cited. BB