[Ads-l] FW: fuck you very much (1974) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Aug 16 23:25:24 UTC 2019

Excellent citation, Bill.

Wikipedia says Barbara Payton died May 8, 1967 at age 39. The context
suggests that the phrase was part of the original edition. The phrase
is an integral part of the text. If the phrase was introduced after
1963 then a multi-sentence revision would have been required. WorldCat
lists only three dates for editions: 1963, 2004, and 2016.

If the text was modified via some kind of stealth edit after 1963 then
I think it was done before she died in 1967.

The preponderance of evidence indicates that this is a genuine 1963
citation, in my opinion.

[ref] 1963, I Am Not Ashamed by Barbara Payton, Chapter 16, Quote Page
151, Holloway House Publishing Company, Los Angeles, California.
(Holloway House Paperback with Photo Section Inside) (Verified with
scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
I hadn't notified anyone of my arrival. Los Angeles is like New York
in that no one pays any attention to you unless you call attention to
yourself. Most of the time people don't even listen to you. For years
it was a gag of mine that to store clerks, gas station attendants,
waitresses or messengers, I'd say; "Fuck you very much . . ." And
never was I challenged or even got a smile. People just don't listen
or observe. They live in their own little world and don't want to be
bothered.
[End excerpt]

Here is the information form the publication page. The only year
specified is 1963.

[Begin excerpt]
PUBLISHED BY:
HOLLOWAY HOUSE PUBLISHING COMPANY
8762 Holloway Drive, Los Angeles 69, California
FIRST PRINTING, 1963
DISTRIBUTED BY:
ALL AMERICA DISTRIBUTORS CORPORATION
8163 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles 46, California
COPYRIGHT 1963 by Holloway House Publishing Company.
[End excerpt]

WorldCat lists the 1963 edition. The next edition is in 2004 which is
long after the death of the author. Also the cover of the 2004 edition
differs (based on the WorldCat thumbnail) from the edition that I used
to acquire the information above.

[Begin WorldCat info]
204 Original Hollywood House ed
Los Angeles, Calif. : Holloway House
[End WorldCat info]

There is also a revised 2016 edition, but it is from a different
publisher, and has a different over.

[Begin WorldCat info]
2016 Revised edition
[Palm Springs, CA] : Spurl Editions
[End WorldCat info]

Garson

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 5:55 PM MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
CCDC AVMC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu>