[Ads-l] "a red mike" USN/USNA slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 22 02:52:16 UTC 2019

It seems to me that many people were less worried about "giving the wrong
impression" than they have been more recently.

In Civil War camps and on the frontier, when women were scarce, "stag
dances" were common.  There wasn't a lot to do, and if music was available,
men would dance lively dances like polkas with men. It was no secret and
was considered innocent, ridiculous fun.

Comic drag shows, in ridiculous costumes, were often put on aboard ship
during World War II. Few seem to have regarded them as anything other than
obvious, heterosexual clowning around.

JL