[Ads-l] quote: imagine end of the world vs. end of capitalism

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Aug 23 14:11:59 UTC 2019

Frederic Jameson wrote in "Future City," New Left Review 21 (May-June 2003) page 76:
“Someone once said that it is easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism. We can now revise that and witness the attempt to imagine capitalism by way of imagining the end of the world.”
Here is a possibility of what he was (approximately) remembering. Identity and Difference, ed. Kathryn Woodward (1997) chapter 6, "Diaspora and the Detours of Identity" by Paul Gilroy, page 338, about Bob Marley:

"Are we prepared now, so many years after his death [in 1981] and mystification, to set aside the new forms of minstrelsy obviously promoted under the constellation of his stardom and see him as a world figure whose career traversed continents and whose revolutionary political stance won adherents because of its ability to imagine the end of capitalism as readily as it imagined the end of the world?"

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/
Stephen Goranson's Home Page - people.duke.edu<http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/>
Stephen Goranson. goranson "at" duke "dot" edu. Jannaeus.pdf. My paper on the history of Alexander Jannaeus as the Qumran- and Essene-view "Wicked Priest" and Judah the Essene as the "Teacher of Righteousness" (3 August 2005 [revised 12 January 2006]; 34 pages), "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene ". Dura-Europos.pdf "7 vs. 8: The Battle Over the Holy Day at Dura-Europos"
people.duke.edu