[Ads-l] triptych

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 26 00:40:53 UTC 2019

> On Aug 25, 2019, at 4:25 PM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Not to be confused with the homophonous "Triptik", the AAA's (American
> Automobile Association) name for their made-to-order detailed
> booklet-format maps of recommended routes from a specified point of origin
> to a specified destination.
>
> MAM

Indeed.  Someone in my household used to refer to the AAA route guide as a trip-titch, i.e. /trIptItS/, which I assumed involved a spelling pronunciation (of the artist's “triptych”) followed by a conflation. Since everyone has switched to Google Maps or similar software, the issue no longer arises.

LH