[Ads-l] ATM = Vending Machine

Wed Aug 28 17:11:24 UTC 2019

The OED entry for ATM presents a first citation in 1975.

[Begin excerpt]
ATM n. orig. U.S. automatic (also automated) teller machine (see
automatic teller n. at automatic adj. and n. Special uses).
1975   Changing Times Oct. 6/2   An ATM requires a much smaller
investment than construction of a full-fledged branch office.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance of ATM that appeared a few months earlier:

Date: March 23, 1975
Newspaper: Lansing State Journal
Newspaper Location: Lansing, Michigan
Article: 'Debit' Key Word in Shopper's New Banking Language
Author: Julie Lehr (Staff Writer)
Quote Page D1, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/image/205392956/

[Begin excerpt]
The automatic teller machine — or ATM — is a service already available
locally at East Lansing State Bank in its "Teller 24."
[End excerpt]

The phrase "ATM machine" ('Automated Teller Machine' machine) is an
exemplar of RAS syndrome ('Redundant Acronym Syndrome' syndrome). I
suspect that the phrase "ATM machine" appeared shortly after ATM was
coined. So this 1981 citation is probably a bit late.