[Ads-l] scrapnel

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 31 08:43:09 UTC 2019

> 2012 Ibid. : Scrapnel is a newly coined hillbilly variation on the word
shrapnel.

I don't know about _scrapnel_ specifically, but shr > skr as in shrimp >
skrimp, Shreveport > Skrevepo, str > skr as in street > skreek, strive >
skrive, skr > str as in scratch > stratch, etc. has been commonplace in BE
since before WWII, at least.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:07 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some time in the '90s I encountered the word "scrapnel," possibly in a
> Simpsons comic book. It meant "shrapnel." Naturally I ignored it.
>
> 1993
> https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-07-05-9307050094-story.html
> : Agincic
> treated him last year when he was hit in the leg with scrapnel.
>
> 1997  https://www.blackbirds.net/u2/u2-timeline/u2tl60.html  : Anderson
> was
> killed when scrapnel punctured pressure suit causing suit to decompress at
> altitude, posthumously awarded Air Force Cross (PH).
>
> 2000 http://www.spfc.org/news-press/interviews.html?content_id=2710
> <http://www.spfc.org/news-press/interviews.html?content_id=2710.>:   like
> scrapnel of a teenage atom bomb.
>
> 2009 Urbandictionary.com : Scrapnel ... The splashback that actually hits
> your ass when you have explosive diarrhea.
>
> 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2TxC4QVq4 : While visiting Verdun I
> spotted this recently ploughed field and thought it might contain some
> scrapnel or similar from World War One.
>
> 2012 Ibid. : Scrapnel is a newly coined hillbilly variation on the word
> shrapnel. Originally (mis)spoken by "Turtleman" on the show "Call of the
> Wildman" during the "Speedway Demons" episode when referring to a racecar
> crashing and throwing car parts around the track.
>
> ca2018 http://www.spellcheck.net/misspelled-words/scrapnel
> <http://www.spellcheck.net/misspelled-words/scrapnel> :  How to Spell
> Scrapnel Correctly...We think the word scrapnel is a misspelling.
>
> JL
> --

-Wilson
-----