[Ads-l] "Cold meat"

Fri Dec 13 03:37:04 UTC 2019

The OED has "cold meat". To me "cold cuts" usually means sliced meats.
The OED definition does specify whether the meat is sliced. Pre-sliced
meat may be a relatively recent innovation. So the definition of "cold
meats" may have shifted over time to accommodate pre-sliced meat and
unsliced meat.

[Begin OED excerpt]
cold meat, n.
Frequency (in current use):
Etymology: cold adj. 2b.
 1. Cooked meat that has become cold; hence sometimes used to connote
inferior fare. Also attributive.
1598   Health to Gentlemanly Profession Seruingmen sig. H   The
remayne of these cold boyled meates..which may well be called colde
Commons.
1795   tr. K. P. Moritz Trav. Eng. 240   I dined here on cold meat and sallad.
1816   J. Austen Emma III. vi. 88   When you are tired of eating
strawberries in the garden, there shall be cold meat in the house.
. . .
2. slang. A corpse; corpses. Chiefly attributive, as cold-meat box
(coffin), cold-meat cart (hearse), cold-meat party (funeral or wake),
cold-meat train (funeral train).

1788   F. Grose Dict. Vulgar Tongue (ed. 2) sig. G3   A dead wife is
the best cold meat in a man's house.
[End OED excerpt]