[Ads-l] "Official Ephus" and eephus?

Mon Dec 16 16:52:17 UTC 2019

Interesting topic, Stephen.
In 1943 "eephus" was sometimes followed by "nothing" in parentheses.
(The spellings "eephus and "ephus" both appeared in newspapers.)

Sewell was not pitching a fast ball or a curve ball. He was pitching
a nothing ball. But I have yet to see a convincing explanation for why
"eephus" meant "nothing". The rationale offered further below was
weak.

Date: September 4, 1943
Newspaper: The Miami Daily News
Newspaper Location:
Photo Caption Title: 'NOW HERE'S HOW I DID IT'
Author: AP Wirephoto
Quote Page 3B, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Old Honus Wagner, the grand old shortstop of the Pirates and now team
coach, who did a spot of pitching back 40-odd years ago, shows his
technique of balloon-ball chunking to Rip Sewell. Rip, who features
the "ephus" or "nothing" pitch, chalked up victory No. 20 Friday--the
first major league twirler of the year to hit that mark.
[End excerpt]